Telephone and/or internet services are considered necessities for daily modern life, yet the cost of maintaining such services may be prohibitively expensive for low-income consumers. Under Congressional mandate, the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) Federal Universal Service Fund includes Low-Income Program discounts on telephone and internet services to qualifying consumers. Our Cooperative participates in this program.
Applying for Benefits
Applicants need to certify their eligibility to receive the program’s benefits by proving participation in any of the following programs:
- Veterans & Survivors Pension Benefit
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Wisconsin Works (W2)
- Badger Care
- Wisconsin Homestead Tax Credit (Schedule H)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Income at or below 135% of Federal Poverty Level
Applicants should complete the Information Release Authorization Form which is available in the business office. Application information is verified with the necessary government agency. Additional documentation from the customer may be requested. Once verified, the program’s monthly discount rate is applied on a residential telephone and/or internet account (one per household).